November 14, 2018, 06:11:10 AM

Author Topic: Rocket Age  (Read 4107 times)

Offline Cigarman

• View Profile
Rocket Age
« on: August 03, 2014, 03:38:28 PM »
I like the system Rocket Age uses, but the game feels more like Space 1899. I was hoping for something more like Cosmic Patrol.

I was considering using the Cosmic Patrol background for my campaign. Has anyone done any conversions to the C7 system?

Offline ReaperWolf

• View Profile
Re: Rocket Age
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 11:40:39 AM »
I've considered using the Vortex System used in Doctor Who and, as you wrote, in Rocket Age. The setting for CP is very very cool however after many readings of the system and running it at small cons, I came to the conclusion that's a mess.

Sorry.

The CP system is vague and oddly clunky in areas such as character creation and combat/conflict especially damage. The average combat drags on forever because of low damage, no effect for good/great successes, and absurdly high armor ratings and hit points. The average CPatrolman will take 5-6 solid hits before they even see in-game effects of the wounds. Same with enemies.

Character creation is filled with oversights and weird inconsistencies.

There's also nowhere to go in terms of character improvement. I've been informed that's by design.

There's no rocketship combat rules. Seriously? I'm not looking for Traveller level detail but at least give us something.

So the moral of this is Catalyst should dump the system 'cuz it's not up to the task. You might just as well play diceless and treat the CP game like the social funnel it is (like Adventures of Baron Munchausen) and run it that way.

Alternatively, and this is my suggestion, is to repackage CP as a FATE Core product. Approach Evil Hat like the people at Do Pilgrims of the Flying Temple did and hammer out a partnership deal. The FATE of the Flying Temple product is an excellent self-contained product with the FATE Core game system incorporated into the setting. It's really the only viable option IMO.

>>ReaperWolf